Adjunct Associate Professor
Adjunct Associate Professor
Kingsley Ong is a Partner at an international law firm in Hong Kong. He is a Notary Public of Hong Kong, a Hong Kong Solicitor, a Barrister and Solicitor-Advocate of England & Wales, and an Advocate & Solicitor of Singapore.
He is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) and Fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators (FHKIArb). Kingsley has sat as Arbitrator on HKIAC-administered arbitrations, and is on the HKIAC’s list of arbitrators.
He is recognised as a leading lawyer by independent legal directories in 5 categories (Banking & Finance, Structured Finance, Securitisation, Derivatives, Restructuring & Insolvency), across 3 jurisdictions (Hong Kong, India, South Korea).
Kingsley has been described as: “pre-eminent practitioner” (Legal 500, 2020), “trusted partner-adviser” (Chambers, 2020), “revered for his ability to advise on complex financial structures” (Chambers, 2017), “top-tier finance capability” (Legal 500, 2012), “extremely knowledgeable” (Legal 500, 2013), “brilliant lawyer… extensive experience” (Chambers, 2013), “first class expertise” (IFLR1000, 2013), “very unique and rare” (Legal 500, 2012), “truly understands how the derivatives and securitisation markets work” (Legal 500, 2014).
His published opinions have been cited as authority in the US Court (Lehman Brothers Special Finance v Bank of New York, 2010), the Hong Kong Standing Committee on Company Law Reform, and leading textbooks.
He also serves as an External Examiner of Hong Kong Institute of Bankers (HKIB), the Secretary-General of APSA (www.apsa-asia.com), an Honorary Senior Fellow of The Chinese University of Hong Kong CFRED, an Editorial Board Member of Lexis Nexis, and a Member of the Hong Kong Law Society’s Islamic Finance Working Group.
Specialised Areas: Arbitration, Restructuring & Insolvency, Derivatives, Securitisation, Structured Finance, Securities Regulation, Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Notarial Law and Practice.
Refereed journal articles
1. “A Comparative Study of the Fundamental Elements of Chinese and English Company Law” (1999) 48 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 88.
2. “The ISDA Master Agreement: Insolvency Stalemate and Endgame Solutions for Hong Kong Liquidators” (2010) 40 Hong Kong Law Journal 337.
3. “From ISDA to NAFMII: Insolvency Stalemate and PRC Bankruptcy Jurisprudence” (2013) 8 Capital Markets Law Journal 77.
4. “Repos and Securities Lending: the accounting arbitrage and their role in the global financial crisis” (2011) 6 Capital Markets Law Journal 92.
5. “Disqualification of Directors: A Faulty Regime?” (1998) 19 Company Lawyer 7.
Books/ Book chapters
6. “Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong (Banking & Finance, Vol. 3)”, Lexis Nexis, 2020.
7. “Chitty on Contracts: Hong Kong Specific Contracts” (5th & 6th editions), 2016 & 2019, Sweet & Maxwell.
8. General Editor, “The Hong Kong Companies Ordinance (Cap. 622): Commentary and Annotations” (1st – 6th editions, 2014 – 2019), Sweet & Maxwell.
9. General Editor, “Structured Finance in Asia”, 2018, Sweet & Maxwell.
10. “Hong Kong International Securities Law and Regulation”, International Securities Law and Regulation (Edited by D. Campbell, 2013, 2nd Edition, Juris Publishing).