PRESS RELEASES | JUN 25, 2018
HKU’s Law Faculty to host ICON-S 2018 annual conference
The University of Hong Kong’s Faculty of Law and its Centre for Comparative and Public Law are proud to host the 2018 Annual Conference of the International Society of Public Law (ICON-S). The conference will take place on June 25-27, 2018. This will be the fifth Annual Conference of ICON-S, following its four Annual Conferences (Florence 2014, New York 2015, Berlin 2016, Copenhagen 2017), and will be the first time the conference is held in Asia. The event will mark the beginning of the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Faculty of Law of the University of Hong Kong.
The theme of the conference is “Identity, Security, Democracy: Challenges for Public Law”.
ICON-S currently has 1,200 members. It is a leading global forum for public law discourse. Its annual conferences have attracted hundreds of participants globally, including distinguished scholars, jurists and policy-makers, younger researchers and graduate students, in all areas of public law – including administrative law, constitutional law, international law, criminal law, immigration and citizenship law and human rights. The upcoming event in Hong Kong is expected to attract hundreds of public lawyers worldwide. The conference will include a keynote address by The Rt Hon the Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury, former President of the Supreme Court of the UK (2012-2017), as well as three plenary sessions on “Diversity, Identity and Human Rights”, “Courts and Democratization”, and “Technology and Public Law”, respectively. The tentative plenary programme can be found here.
The conference organizers are now calling for papers to be presented at the conference’s parallel sessions, the heart of the event. If you are interested in submitting an abstract for the conference, please note the following:
- The due date for submission of abstracts is 31 January 2018.
- The language of the conference is English.
- Your presentation may relate to any aspect of public law, and need not be limited to the general theme of the conference.
- Proposals for fully-formed panels are strongly encouraged, although individual papers are also acceptable. Panel proposals should include at least three papers by scholars who have agreed in advance to participate. Such fully-formed panel proposals should also identify one or two discussants, who may also serve as panel chair and/or paper presenter. Each concurrent session is 90 minutes. A panel proposal should include the name of the chair and/or discussant, the names of the presenters, the abstracts of each presentation, and a title and brief description of the topic of the panel.
- Submission of full papers is not required for the purpose of participating in this conference.
- To submit abstracts, please follow the procedures here. In order to participate in the conference, you must register as a member of ICON-S. The membership fee covers the conference registration fee. It is US$50 for non-OECD jurisdictions and US$95 for OECDjurisdictions.
We look forward to welcoming friends from around the world to this unique opportunity of scholarly exchange.Back to News